Thursday, February 7, 2013

2 months and 26 days

It's been a while since I last wrote on here, and let's just say that the excitement is building!  A lot of things have happened in the last few weeks and plans have been added!!  So, let me recant some of the VERY exciting news!!!!!

Since Christmas I have been feeling more and more like I'm not only meant to go to South Africa to just work with the lions.  Of course, this has been a life-long ambition and it is coming true, but I was beginning to feel like 3 and a half months weren't going to be enough.  So I have been praying about it and on more than one occasion, friends mentioned a "work away" website that lists posts from several different countries around the world where you can exchange your able bodied work for food and housing and family.  So I looked into it and contacted several places in South Africa that I felt could be a match for me.  Out of the 9 I contacted, I heard back from 4 and now I feel like I can say I have made my decision as to where I will head after my work with the lions is complete in August. 

I have been in contact with a woman for a few weeks now who wants me to come live with her and her family on their organic cattle farm.  I would get to help with rounding up the free range cows, building, gardening etc, even learning Afrikaans!  And most of all getting to help with the care of her one year old!  They also have several dogs and cats, as well as horses and a zorse!  For you people who don't know what that is, a zorse is half zebra half horse.  This usually happens when a mare is accidentally impregnated by a wandering male zebra.  Where the farm is located is surrounded by huge wildlife parks that are inhabited by several hoofed species, like zebra, antelope etc.  It's in the middle of the Sneeuberg Mountains that has become an isolated habitat.  It has a sustainable ecosystem of its own with species of plants, insects, and animals not found anywhere else in the world!  Much like the Galapagos Islands of Ecuador.  It has a lot of great hiking as well as being a very artistic area, which is very exciting for me as well!!  Along with living on this wonderful farm with these wonderful, hospitable people, I get to have my own living space with heat, kitchen, bedroom etc.  But most of all, I get to be a part of their family and get to know some of the culture during my stay. 

The plane tickets are bought and paid for, and I have all of the gear that I need, minus a few small details that I will be ordering soon.  I'm trying not to worry about the funding so much, even though it's an incredibly stressful situation.  I worry about running out while I am there or not having anything when I get back to the U.S.  But I'm trying not to think about that!!  I'm just trying to focus on the exciting things to come!

So, that's all I have for now!  Picture below is of the Sneeuberg Mountains...I know, gorgeous.  Can't wait!

~K~

No comments:

Post a Comment